Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Jett's Heating & Air Inc. in McHenry about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the timeline between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, arrange routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at Jett's Heating & Air Inc.. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Jett's Heating & Air Inc. about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your McHenry home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Jett's Heating & Air Inc. a call at 815-410-1128.